Friday, June 04, 2010

mr. wooden

I'm on a rampage of following Jesus without reservation and without compromise. I'm struck with the awesome thought that God wants us to rule and reign in our areas of expertise where He has designated us to sing to Him. My thoughts are on Mr. John Wooden today, a man so noted for his leadership at UCLA as a college basketball coach.

It's no coincidence that he never had a losing season in 29 years as a head coach, had 4 undefeated seasons, 16 Final Four appearances (9 straight) and 21 Final Four wins, 10 NCAA Championships (7 straight), NCAA-record 88-game winning streak from 1971-74, 38-game NCAA Tournament winning streak from 1964-74, first person enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame as both a player and coach, and authored several books on basketball, coaching, life and leadership. He lived by his Seven-Point Creed: be true to yourself, make each day your masterpiece, help others, drink deeply from good books, especially the Bible, make friendship a fine art, build a shelter against a rainy day, and pray for guidance and give thanks for your blessings every day.

"I have always tried to make it clear that basketball is not the ultimate. It is of small importance in comparison to the total life we live. There is only one kind of life that truly wins, and that is the one that places faith in the hands of the Savior."

"If I were ever prosecuted for my religion, I truly hope there would be enough evidence to convict me."

I love that he's from Indiana and a Purdue graduate, that he's made famous the name of Jesus and has inspired so many well-bred athletes on to greatness. Can you imagine how Heaven sings over his life? This is what it's all about! I'm praying that God will raise up a new generation of worshippers who will live their lives with this degree of integrity that the whole world sees its good deeds and will praise its Father in Heaven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home