Monday, November 21, 2005

premonitions

Flying out of Dulles International Airport is a surreal experience. When I’m there, I always think of the infamous day that hijackers pretended to be Americans and boarded that fateful American flight. Out of Dulles came the plane that flew into the Pentagon on September 11th. To me, Dulles is a part of that experience eternally branded into our minds.

On Sunday, I was getting a little more acquainted with someone from church. As I asked her questions about her life, she told me that she’s worked for American Airlines for 20 years. With my interest grew, she ended up telling me that she was actually the American employee that checked all 58 passengers onto the soon-to-be-hijacked Flight 77, from Washington, DC to Los Angeles. She said that a co-worker was a passenger that day and was extremely suspicious of the man sitting across the aisle from her. He was one of the hijackers. But what does one do with just an instinctual premonition? What does one tell the FBI until 3 a.m. the next morning?

Needless to say, my friend still wrestles with the responsibility of this nightmare…the faces of the children on a National Geographic trip to LA, a Georgetown professor, her husband and their two tiny daughters, and the man on his way back to Orange County to get his family's yellow Labrador, who had been left behind until they settled into their new home in Arlington, Virginia.

But who could have predicted?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home